This Winter Fruit Compote Recipe is a quick simple winter recipe and provides a really nice treat on a cold day. A compote is a mixture of stewed fruit, they can be fresh or dried and usually liquor of some sort is added for flavour. A Summer compote would be made with fresh ingredients and a winter compote made with dried fruits.
During winter, when the selection of fresh fruit is hard to find, using dried fruit, that have been prepared for winter, is the next best alternative.
This simple winter compote recipe can be served warm or cold and is also easily reheated in the microwave. It is great on ice cream or angel food cake and can be dressed up with a dollop of whipped cream.
It also keeps well in the refrigerator for a few weeks - IF you have any left !.
• 1 cup (250 ml) of dried prunes- chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) of dried apricots - chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) of Craisins
• 1 cup (250 ml) of seedless raisins
• 1 navel orange (seedless) or 2 mandarins - peeled & segmented
• 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) orange juice
• 1 cup (250 ml) Brandy or Grand Marinier
1. Combine the dried fruits in a medium sized sauce pot with a cover.
2. Peel and section the orange or mandarins – cut the sections into small pieces. Slice the peel very fine and stir this in with the dried fruits, peels and all.
3. Stir in the orange juice, Brandy or Grand Marinier.
4. Heat on medium until it comes to a slow boil, - stirring occasionally - turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for another 20 minutes until the apricots are tender and juicy. Stirring occasionally.
5. Serve this winter compote recipe with biscuits, cookies, over angel food cake, or ice cream, and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: This winter compote recipe serves 8
1. You can vary the dried winter fruits according to your taste.
2. You can omit the liquor - just increase the orange juice to make the total amount of liquid the same.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world