This Watergate Salad Recipe was initially called Pistachio Pineapple Delight when it first debued in the 1970’s, and only canned pineapple was used. This easy and simple Watergate recipe has since been varied to use other canned fruits as well.
How and why the name was changed to Watergate is a mystery.
Some people think it has a lot to do with the Watergate Scandals that
were prevalent during that time.
Whatever the name is - Watergate or Pistachio Pineapple Delight - it is the results of the recipe that are important and this easy and simple Watergate recipe has lots of flavour.
Although the original recipe called for canned pineapples, fruit cocktail seems to have become more of a favourite choice. Canned diced peaches or mandarins work really well in this recipe also.
So, pick your choice of fruit and get stirring.
• 2 cups Miniature Marshmallows
• 2 pkg. (4-serving size each) Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding
• 2 cans (14 fl oz/398mL each) crushed pineapple in juice, NOT drained
• 1 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts of your choice)
• 3 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
1. Combine the mini marshmallows, the 2 dry pudding mixes, the canned pineapple (with juice) and the nuts in a large bowl.
2. Fold in the Cool Whip.
3. Cover and refrigerate your Watergate creation, for at least 1 hour, before serving.
Yield: This Watergate recipe serves 8 - 10
1. You can make this recipe as a low-cal dessert by using the sugar-free pudding mix and the low-cal whipped topping.
2. You can substitute canned fruit cocktail, peaches, mandarins, or your favourite type in this recipe.
- that Watergate Salad is quite similar to Ambrosia
- that this is very popular at potluck dinners and family gatherings
- that it is very common in the Upper Mid-western United States.
- that young and old alike - all enjoy this refreshing Watergate salad recipe.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world