This easy Tomato Salad Recipe is very very simple to prepare and is perfect for those hot summer days. Summer fresh tomato and buffalo mozzarella topped with chopped fresh basil makes a great light lunch.
The combination of vitamins and minerals from the sun ripe tomato plus the calcium and protein from the cheese make this a healthy substitute for a meal.
If you cannot find buffalo mozzarella, just substitute any type of mozzarella cheese.
You can vary the dressing from the plain olive oil called for in this simple salad recipe, to any vinaigrette of your choice.
Check for Salad Vinaigrette Recipes here
pinch of oregano
1 tbsp (15 ml) salted capers black olives
1. Slice the mozzarella into rounds (if possible) and lay them onto 6 plates.
2. Wash & slice the tomato and lay the tomato slices over the cheese.
3. Drizzle the olive oil over top, sprinkle with the shredded basil & oregano.
4. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Recipe Yield: This simple tomato recipe serves 6
1. If you wish to prepare this ahead of time - it is easier to just slice the tomato and cheese and place all the ingredients in one bowl to refrigerate. Then you serve it like a regular tomato salad with salad tongs. This also works better for Picnics or BBQs.
2. I have also seen this Tomato Salad served on a bed of lettuce which is very pretty as well as tasty.
- that the buffalo mozzarella is made from the milk from water buffalo.
- that water buffaloes live in the marshlands of Campania - a part of Italy.
- that apparently the buffalo were introduced to that area by the Romans.
- that the milk from a water buffalo produces a cheese that is richer yet tangier than a cheese from cow's milk.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world