This Shepherds Salad Recipe was often prepared by the Turkish shepherds who collected the first fresh vegetables of the season. The Turkish shepherds would roam through the hills and valleys with their flocks which gave them access to the wild vegetables that grew there.
Everyone always looked forward to the first ripe tomatoes and cucumbers and the shepherds knew where to find them.
This simple salad recipe is from the original shepherds although nowadays there are many variations.
1. Dice all the vegetables to a similar size.
2. If using salad cucumbers remove the seeds. If using English cucumbers - you can leave them in.
3. Combine all the salad ingredients in a glass or plastic bowl.
4. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss.
5. Just before serving add salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: SERVES 6
- that Turkey is the world's fourth largest tomato producer.
- that tomatoes benefit the heart plus many other organs.
- that especially cooked tomatoes, have been found to help prevent prostate cancer
- that the lycopene in tomatoes can improve the skin's ability to protect against harmful UV rays.
- that eating tomatoes may be helpful in reducing the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
- that tomatoes are a mild form of a diuretic and help remove excess water from our bodies.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world