This Rice Raisin Recipe / Milchreis is a traditional European rice pudding dessert recipe. This was a recipe my German mother made all the time and we never tired of it. In Germany it is called "Milchreis" because the rice is cooked with milk instead of water.
I have pictured this simple dessert recipe in a parfait glass so that
you can better see the raisin content, but most of the time this recipe is just served
in a bowl.
The Germans also quite often served this raisin recipe with a sauce or compot made from a mixture of summer berries boiled down into a sauce. (see recipe below)
whether you choose to make the plain recipe, with raisin or with a fruit sauce - it is delicious any way.
1. Bring the milk, sugar and cinnamon to a low boil in a pot. Add the rice and stirring constantly cook until rice is tender and your desired creamy consistency is achieved - about 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat - stir in the raisin and allow to cool.
3. Taste test the recipe for your preference of sweetness.
Yield: This recipe yields 3 cups of rice pudding with raisin
In most Scandinavian Countries, rice pudding is served as part of the
Christmas Eve meal. In Sweden the recipe is usually dressed up by serving it
with a fruit sauce. Whipped cream and a vanilla extract are added to the
rice pudding to make it creamier and more flavourful. It is also
sometimes served with orange segments.
In the Ukraine, they add a variety of dried fruits, including raisin and nuts to the recipe for a special Christmas Eve treat.
1. Collect 4 - 5 different summer berries to total 4 cups (1000 ml).
2. Wash these and then place them in a pot with just enough water to prevent scorching.
3. Heat the pot on medium and stirring constantly, allow the liquid to just come to a boil and start to thicken.
4. Taste test - if you find this too tart - you can add some sugar to increase the sweetness.(Don't forget that the pudding and raisin are already quite sweet)
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
6. Serve over your rice raisin recipe for a wholesome dessert.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world