This Octopus Salad Recipe from Puerto Rico is one of their traditional Christmas meals. Some of their cuisine shows the Spanish influence and this simple salad recipe is one them.
Octopus is a rich white meat, that is cooked until tender and flavoured with spicing and peppers, to create a very tasty dish.
It can be served as a light lunch, over lettuce and garnished with some cucumber slices and lime wedges - or it can be served as a side dish to a full course dinner.
As with any seafood salad recipe, it is rich and hearty and a little goes a long way.
• (4-5 lbs) (1800 -2200 gr) canned octopus
• 3/4 cup (180 ml) white onion - diced
• 1 cup (240 ml) tomato – chopped
• 1 cup (240 ml) green pepper - chopped
• 1 clove of garlic - minced
• 1 tbsp. (15 ml) parsley - chopped
• 4 celery stalks - diced
• 4 tbsp (60 ml) lemon juice
• olive oil
• adobo – dry seasoning made with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, dry oregano and sometimes dried citrus zest. (I used Montreal Steak Spice and it turned out fine)
1. Cut or shred the octopus meat into small pieces and place them in a large bowl.
2. Add the diced celery, chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, the lemon juice, the minced garlic, the diced onion, and the chopped parsley. Toss to mix well.
3. Sprinkle the olive oil and adobo (just a little bit) over the top. Toss again to mix.
4. Taste test – adjust seasonings to your preference.
5. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves with cucumbers and a lime wedge for garnish, or serve "as is" as a side dish to a meal.
Recipe Yield: This recipe serves 4 as a light meal or 8 as an appetizer
1. You save a lot of time by using the canned octopus, besides, fresh octopus is not readily available in most places, plus it entails a lot of work.
2. You can also add sliced olives if you like.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.