Ripe, cool, juicy melons. This Mixed Melon Recipe is the perfect treat on a hot summer day.
Easy to prepare - this quick refreshing simple salad recipe can be eaten as a breakfast, dessert or snack.
Although some local melons are not in season until late summer - we have the opportunity to purchase any melon all year round at our grocery stores.
The combination of sweet melon in this fresh melon recipe, if served with a dressing or dip, will especially entice children to eat these fruits, which contain, not only essential vitamins, but also, contain a lot of "water" (juice) which aids in the prevention of dehydration on hot summer days.
The melon pieces can be dipped in the dressing recipe (below) or the dressing can be dolloped on top of each serving. The bowl or parfait cup can then be further decorated by the addition of some of the optional recipe ingredients.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) diced honeydew melon
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) diced cantaloupe (musk melon)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) diced watermelon (seedless is best)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cool whip
note: - choose only 1 or 2 additional ingredients
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shaved chocolate
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mini marshmallows
1. combine all 3 melon pieces in a bowl until all mixed
2. prepare the dressing/dip recipe - combine the yogurt and cool whip
3. Serve your Mixed Melon Recipe creation chilled with the dressing spooned on top or as a dip alongside.
Yield: This recipe serves 2
1. The recipe for mixed melon can be doubled, tripled or quadrupled
2. You could also try some other types of exotic mixed melon, such as combining some of the following: Canary Melons, Papaya (which is actually a type of melon), or Golden Cantaloupe.