This Festive Slaw Recipe looks great on any holiday table and is a perfect side dish for those holiday meals.
The addition of traditional festive fruits adds flavour and texture to this common vegetable salad.
The crunchy almonds, semi-crunchy coleslaw, juicy mandarins, with the
chewy apricots and craisins in this simple slaw recipe all combine
very well to create a tasty treat.
This simple vegetable salad recipe can be prepared a few days in advance - saving you time on the all important day.
You can make the dressing included or choose one of your fruity favourite vinaigrettes instead.
• 1 bag pre-cut cole slaw or brocco slaw
• 1 bulb fennel - slivered
• 1 can mandarins – drained, reserving juice
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) dried apricots – julienned
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) craisins or raisins
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) slivered almonds
1. Prepare vegetables and fruit
2. Place slaw in a large bowl (a glass bowl makes a nicer presentation)
3. Add the vegetables and fruit and toss to mix.
4. Add the dressing and toss again to thoroughly coat all the ingredients.
5. Sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top.
6. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
7. Prepare the dressing below or use one of your favourites.
Yield: Serves 8
1. This Festive Slaw will keep for 2 days in the refrigerator without losing it’s citrus flavours.
2. It will keep even longer if there is no dressing added.
• 1/3 cup (80 ml) reserved juice from mandarin oranges OR orange juice
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
• 1 1/2 (7.25 ml) tsp salt
• Black pepper to taste
1. Whisk all ingredients together until well blended. Use immediately on your festive slaw or store in refrigerator. Re-whisk before using.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world