This Ensalada Verde Recipe is a simple green salad recipe from the Dominican Republic that they traditionally make on festive holidays, such as Christmas and Easter.
With only 4 ingredients, this simple salad is quick and easy to prepare.
It is meant to whet your appetite for the following courses of food.
Sometimes simple is better.
Ensalada Verde means Green Salad
This simple salad recipe can be served with a variety of dressings, so that each person can choose their favourite. By not dousing the salad in dressing before serving, the remainder of the salad, if any, can be easily kept for the next day.
• 1 medium tomato - washed, sliced & halved
• 1/2 of a head of leaf lettuce (or 1/4 of a cabbage)- chopped
• 1/2 English cucumber - finely sliced
• 2 hard boiled eggs - peeled and quartered
1. Wash and chop the lettuce and place it in a plate.
2. Wash and slice the tomatoes and the cucumber into fine slices.
3. Peel and quarter the hard boiled eggs.
4. Lightly toss the first 3 ingredients and then place the egg quarters on top.
5. Serve your Ensalada Verde with a light wine vinaigrette or fruity vinaigrette.
Yield: this recipe for Ensalada Verde serves 4
1. Other vegetables can be added to your Ensalada Verde such as: green onions, red onions, shredded carrots, crumbled or shredded cheeses, sweet peppers, nuts.
2. Heavier (thicker) vinaigrettes may also be used or your favourite.
- that cucumbers are mostly water but they still pack a lot of nutrition.
- that cucumber flesh has a very high level of vitamins A, & C, plus folic acid.
- that the outer skin is rich in fiber and a variety of minerals including magnesium, silica, molybdenum, and potassium.
- that all lettuce is a good source of chlorophyll and vitamin K.
- that tomatoes are actually a fruit and not a vegetable.
- that tomatoes have an anti-oxidant that helps in the fight against cancerous cell formation.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world