This Ensalada de Gallina Recipe is a simple chicken vegetable salad recipe that is very common in Venezuela. It is traditionally served on holidays like Christmas and New years - but is also eaten year round.
The combination of vegetables with the shredded meat and dressing combine to create a very flavourful dish.
With all the ingredients, (meat, vegetables and potatoes) this is a one dish meal. The best part is that left-over chicken or turkey can be used, (plus some left-over vegetables) which also eliminates some of the preparation process.
A great simple salad recipe for after a holiday turkey dinner to use up the left-overs.
• 4 chicken/turkey breasts - cooked & shredded
• 1 medium size onion - diced
• 2 lb (1 kg) of cooked potato - diced,
• 1 cup (240 ml)of cooked or canned carrots - diced
• 2 cups (500 ml) of canned green peas - drained.
• 1 apple peeled and diced.
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) of olive oil.
• 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of black pepper.
• Salt to taste.
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) of apple vinegar.
• 2 tsp (10 ml) of mustard.
• 2 1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) of sugar or honey.
• 1 1/2 cup (360 ml) of mayonnaise.
• 1 cup (240 ml) of raisins (optional)
1. Shred the chicken/turkey into very small pieces - best accomplished with your hands or 2 forks.
2. In a big bowl and mix the chicken/turkey, the potatoes, the carrots, half of green peas, the apples and the raisins.
3. Prepare the dressing in a separate bowl by mixing together the onion, vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and black pepper.
4. Add the dressing to the bowl with the chicken/turkey and the vegetables. Gently and slowly stir to combine.
5. Add the mayonnaise. Stir slowly until everything is well blended.
6. Taste test – adjusting the salt and pepper to your preference.
7. Level the top of the salad, and decorate with some parsley and the remaining green peas, or strips of sweet peppers.
8. This Ensalada de Gallina can be put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and served cold, or you can serve it right away at room temperature.
9. Store any leftover Ensalada de Gallina in the refrigerator.
Yield: serves 6 - 8
1. This recipe for Ensalada de Gallina is a tradition in Venezuela for the holidays.
2. Many families also add diced boiled eggs or sliced olives.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world