This Coconut Rice Peas Recipe is common throughout the Caribbean although it does vary slightly from island to island. Coconut milk is a common addition to many a recipe throughout the islands. The addition of pigeon peas to the recipe ingredients creates a hearty dish.
You are also probably wondering why there are no green peas in the
picture. These peas are called Pigeon Peas and are actually a member of
the bean family but are called peas because they are so small by
The health benefits from these peas combined with the coconut milk and rice in this simple salad recipe create a complete meal.
This easy rice salad recipe with coconut and peas can be eaten warm or cold as a side dish to most any meal or can be eaten just by itself as a light lunch.
• 2 cups (500 ml) of green pigeon peas
• 2 cups (500 ml) of rice
• 3 cups (750 ml) of water
• 2 cups (500 ml) of unsweetened coconut milk
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) of chopped celery
• 1 small red onion - quartered
• 1 cube of chicken stock/bouillon
• 1 tsp (5 ml) of chopped parsley
• 1 tsp (5 ml) of chopped coriander/cilantro
• 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of thyme leaves
• 1 tbsp ( 15 ml) of olive or coconut oil
• 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) of minced garlic
• 1 pinch of oregano
• salt to taste
1. Heat the oil, over medium heat in a large pot.
2. Add the oregano, onion, garlic, celery and herbs.
3. Stir to blend and add 2 tbsp (30 ml) of water.
4. When the water has almost evaporated add the chicken stock and 2 more tbsp (30 ml) of water, and stir to dissolve the cube.
5. Add the peas, rice and three cups (750 ml) of water.
6. Allow pot to come to a boil over medium heat until the water is nearly all evaporated.
7. Add the coconut milk and stirring constantly, allow it to come just to a boil, then simmer until it reaches a nice creamy consistency. DO NOT allow this to boil for long, since then you lose the coconut flavour.
8. Taste test - adjust salt to taste.
9. This Coconut Rice Peas Recipe can be served warm or cold. Keep any left-overs in the refrigerator.
Recipe Yield: This Coconut Rice Salad Recipe serves 6 as a meal or 8 as a side dish
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.