This Basil Vinaigrette recipe is very common throughout the
Mediterranean area where simple salad recipes are an everyday staple.
The addition of the basil to the oil is a method called "infusion", where the herb is allowed to sit and infuse it's flavour into the oil.
All vinaigrette recipes originated from the early Roman vinaigrette.
The light refreshing flavour of the basil enhances any salad, soup or
stew and it is good for you too. Basil has a surprisingly large number
of vitamins and minerals.
You can purchase Basil as a fresh herb, dried, or crushed at most grocery stores. Of course fresh is best and many chefs and home cooks grow basil in their kitchens or windowsills so that they always have some on hand.
This simple vinaigrette recipe can be served over nearly any type of green salad.
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
• 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) pepper
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh basil/ or 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) crushed basil
1. Briskly whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
2. Spoon the vinaigrette over the salad.
3. Store any remaining vinaigrette in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. (I use a small mason jar) It will keep for up to 2 days.
Yield: Will serve 4 salads
This Basil Vinaigrette Recipe will taste better if allowed to sit, before use, to allow the flavour of the basil to infuse the oil.
- that basil is related to peppermint
- that basil helps to protect cells and chromosomes from damage
- that basil has been found to prevent the growth of several types of bacteria
- that in basil oil is Eugenol, which provides an anti-inflammatory effect similar to Aspirin or Ibuprofen.
- that other nutrients found in basil include iron, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C.
- that basil also contains Vitamin A and magnesium
- that basil is a great anti-oxidant too.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.