According to Wikipedia the Waldorf Salad Recipe was first created
between 1893 and 1896 at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City. Oscar
Tschirky, who was the Waldorf maître d'hôtel, is credited with
creating this simple salad recipe.
Over the years, many changes and adaptations have been made to this simple Waldorf recipe all over the world. Many times it depended on what people had on hand and on the seasonal fruit and vegetables.
The original simple salad recipe for a Waldorf Salad had very few
ingredients - just celery, apples, and walnuts with a mayonnaise
dressing, served on a bed of fresh lettuce.
Today, there are many variants which not only lengthen the ingredient list but some also change the dressing to a yogurt based topping.
I have an easy Waldorf recipe for you to experiment with. You can add additional ingredients if you choose.
• 1/2 cup walnuts - chopped
• 1/2 cup celery - thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup seedless grapes – cut in half if large
• 1 sweet apple - cored and chopped
• 3 Tbsp real mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• ½ tsp Salt
• ¼ tsp Pepper
• Romaine lettuce
1. Using a medium-sized bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice together. Mix in the salt and pepper.
2. Add the chopped apples, celery, grape halves, and chopped walnuts.
3. Serve this Waldorf recipe over a bed of freshly torn romaine lettuce.
Yield: This Waldorf Salad serves 2.
- that you can add cooked chicken or turkey to this Waldorf recipe for a complete meal.
- that you can also add dried fruit such as raisins or craisins.
- that you can substitute blanched and chopped cauliflower or broccoli florets for the celery or use both or even all three for really filling rendition of a Waldorf recipe .
- that you can add some orange or lemon zest for a more refreshing flavour.
- that you can adapt what you have in the frig to create your own Waldorf style of salad.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world