Any Basic Potato salad recipe was introduced to North America by European
settlers, who adapted their traditional recipe to basic local ingredients.
This accounts for the large regional recipe variations all across North
A summer menu staple, this basic simple salad recipe is always welcomed at any barbecue or picnic.
Potato salad, as we know the recipe today, became popular in the second half of the 19th century.
Our modern basic cold potato salad evolved from the British and French simple salad recipe while the warm potato salads followed the German tradition for a hot vinegar and bacon dressing served over their potatoes.
Originally the early basic cold potato salad recipe often called for "French dressing", as did many other vegetable salads. However, after mayonnaise became available, the "French dressing" disappeared and was replaced by a mayonnaise based dressing, such as we use today, in this basic recipe.
• 3 or 4 medium sized potatoes
• 4 tbsp (60 ml) green relish
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) parsley - chopped (optional)
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) red or white onion - finely diced
• 2 stalks celery - chopped
• 2 green onions - chopped
• 4 hard boiled eggs - chopped
• 1 medium carrot - shredded (optional)
• 1/2 red bell pepper - diced (optional)
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) real mayonnaise
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) white vinegar
• 2 tsp. (10 ml) sugar
• 2 tsp. (10 ml) mustard
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Drain, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and leave the potatoes in a colander to cool. Once cool enough to handle - peel them and cut the potatoes into slices or quarters.
2. In a large bowl mix the potatoes with the relish, parsley, onions, celery, eggs, and, if using, the carrots, and red bell pepper.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the mustard, vinegar, and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Gently mix the dressing into the potato mixture.
5. Taste-test and adjust the basic seasonings to your preference.
Yield: This recipe serves 6 - 8
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world