This Penne Salad is prepared with an Asian inspired dressing which
infuses a unique oriental flavour into this simple salad recipe. Penne pasta is very mild flavoured and is suitable for many types of dressings.
A must try penne pasta salad recipe- I'm sure you will enjoy it.
The rapini can be substituted with broccoli florets.
Optionally pine nuts can be sprinkled on top, to give this penne pasta salad recipe a bit of crunchy texture.
1. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne pasta for 8 minutes. Stir in the rapini; right along with the penne and cook for another 2 minutes until the pasta is tender but firm. Drain and immediately rinse with cold running water. Set aside to cool.
2. In a food processor, combine all the dressing ingredients except for the sesame seeds. Process until smooth and creamy. Stir in the sesame seeds. Store the dressing in the refrigerator until ready to use. Makes 2 cups (500ml).
3. Using a large bowl, stir the peppers, onions & cheese into the penne rapini mixture. Toss well.
4. Add the dressing and mix all together.
5. Taste test your penne pasta - adjust the seasoning to suit your taste.
What is Rapini?
Rapini is similar to broccoli and can be substituted for such in many simple salad recipes.
It is somewhat bitter and stronger flavoured, which makes it a good complement to mild foods like pasta, polenta, and white beans. It also pairs well with other strong flavours like garlic, chili, and anchovy.
Some people believe that rapini originated from a wild herb somewhere in the Asian part of the world. It is very popular in China and the Mediterranean, but it is becoming more popular in the Western United States as well, where it is now also being cultivated.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world