Not many people think of a cold pea salad recipe when it comes to salads. So I was intrigued by this pea recipe. It turned out very well and now it has become one of my favourite simple salad recipes.
This quick and easy pea vegetable salad recipe pairs well with any meal as a side dish. It can be prepared ahead and kept in the refrigerator until needed.
If you are using the frozen peas, this salad will keep cold on it's own while the peas thaw - making it a perfect dish for a picnic or barbecue.
Since a pea has a relatively strong flavour (for such a tiny little thing) the mayonnaise is used to tone it down somewhat. The green onions offer just a subtle hint of flavour and the waterchestnuts, which are mild flavoured, add to the texture by being crunchy. You can substitute some diced celery for the water chestnuts.
The dressing is simple enough to prepare and the curry powder lends itself very well in pairing with the flavour of the pea. A truly simple and flavourful recipe.
• 2 cups (480 ml) frozen peas OR 16 oz. can (drained)
• 3/4 cup (180 ml) chopped almonds
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) green onions - diced
• 1 cup (240 ml) water chestnuts OR celery - chopped
• 2/3 cup (160 ml) real mayonnaise
• 2 tsp (10 ml) yellow curry powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
• squirt of lemon juice - according to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the peas, onions, almonds, and the drained water chestnuts or diced celery.
2. In a separate smaller bowl, blend the mayonnaise and curry powder together until well mixed.
3. Fold the mayonnaise mixture gently into the vegetables.
4. Taste test - add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste and remix.
5. Serve your cold pea salad recipe immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Yield: Serves 6.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world