While the North German Potato Salad Recipe is served cold, and whereas the southern version of this simple salad recipe is served warm - you might think it should be the other way around, since the North German climate is much cooler.
But that is not the only difference - the North German recipe uses
mayonnaise to bind the salad together whereas the southern version of
this easy potato salad recipe, uses oil with herbs and bacon for
They do have another thing in common besides potatoes - neither the North German nor Southern versions use eggs in their potato salads.
• 4 large potatoes
• 1 bunch green onions - diced
• 1 sweet red pepper – seeded & diced
• 1 sweet green pepper – seeded & diced
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp (30 ml) mustard
• 2 tsp sugar
• 4 tbsp (60 ml) mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) warm water
1. Put the potatoes into a large pot. Cover with water and bring the water to a boil on high heat. Continue to cook until the potatoes are done.
2. Immediately drain off the hot water and rinse the potatoes under cold water. Allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile - prepare the remaining vegetables.
4. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle – peel them and then slice or cube them into a large bowl.
5. Add the onions, red & green peppers. Gently stir to mix.
6. Add the water, sugar, mayonnaise, and mustard. Stir to combine everything.
7. Taste test – adjust with salt & pepper.
8. Store your North German style Potato Salad in the refrigerator until needed.
Yield: Serves 6
1. You may need some more mayonnaise depending on the size of the potatoes.
2. Stir the potato salad prior to serving – it may need a bit more mayonnaise or water. Some potatoes absorb more liquid than others.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.