A Macaroni Salad is always a favourite with children and adults alike. It is not an expensive pasta salad recipe to make and various ingredients can be used.
In some cases - it can be a matter of cleaning left-over vegetables from the refrigerator and combining them with the cooled macaroni and a simple home made dressing.
At restaurants, picnics, barbecues, wherever people are gathered to eat - there will always be a macaroni or pasta salad.
This simple salad recipe can easily be adapted to your favourite ingredients.
• 4 cups (960 ml) uncooked macaroni or elbow pasta
• 1 large onion - diced
• 2 stalks celery - dice
• 1 green bell pepper - seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) carrot - grated or shredded (optional)
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) pimento peppers - chopped (optional)
A few sliced radishes for garnish (optional)
• 1 cup (240 ml) real mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) white vinegar
• 2/3 cup (160 ml) sugar
• 2 1/2 tbsp (37 ml) mustard
• 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
1. In a large pot of boiling water cook the macaroni or elbow pasta until tender, approximately 6-8 minutes. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water. Allow to completely drain.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper until well blended.
3. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients with the cooled macaroni or elbow pasta.
4. Add the dressing and stir until everything is well mixed.
5. Garnish with sliced radishes.
6. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (about 4 hours).
Yield: Serves 8 as a side dish or 16 at a buffet.
This salad with macaroni and mayo will keep in the refrigerator for 4 - 5 days. Since the dressing may begin to separate - stir well before serving.
1. You can substitute blanched or cooked broccoli or cauliflower for the carrot.
2. You can add a can of peas, corn or mixed vegetables (well drained).
Experiment with your own ideas.
Green Side Dishes: such as fresh Garden Salads
Cold Pasta : such as a Classic Macaroni
Fruits: such as a Berry Salad
Dips & Dressings for fruits
Fruit Parfaits are simply fruit & other ingredients served elegantly.
Vegetables: such as Marinated Vegetables
Home Made Dressings
Sandwiches: such as Egg Salad
Seafood Recipes such as the Neptune Salad
Tacos for your family or a large group.
Easter Salad Recipes from around the world