This Halloween Deviled Eggs Recipe certainly tastes better than it looks - but that is what Halloween foods are all about. I mean really - who would want to eat a bloody eyeball?? Only at Halloween do we partake of such shenanigans and these easily prepared "Bloody Eyes" certainly step up to the task.
These gruesome looking deviled eggs really spruce up a Halloween Buffet table.
Don't worry about left-overs - there won't be any! These little gems disappear quickly.
• 12 eggs - hard boiled
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) sweet pickle relish
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) mayonnaise
• 1 pinch celery salt
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) prepared mustard
• 2 drops green food coloring
• 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives – drained for garnish
• 1 tube of red cake decorating icing
• 1 jar of pimentos (optional)
1. Crack the egg shells all around and peel the shells off.
2. Cut the eggs in half, length-wise.
3. Carefully remove the yolks and drop them into a small bowl. Set the egg whites aside for now.
4. Add the Mayonnaise, celery salt, mustard and food colouring to the bowl. Use a fork to mash up any yolk lumps. Blend everything together to a smooth paste.
5. Add the relish and mix well.
6. Taste test your Halloween deviled eggs and adjust the seasonings.
7. Use a melon baller to place the deviled eggs mixture into the whites.
8. Garnish the tops with the olive slice. Put a small piece of pimento in the center of each olive OR use a few drops of the red cake decorating icing.
9. Use the cake decorating icing to put "bloody" lines on one side of the egg.