In Greece, this "so-called" Greek Salad Recipe is known as Horiatiki, which translates into Village/Country Salad. The Greek peoples all throughout history were noted for their consumption of salads. Maybe, because of the hot climate, or maybe because salad ingredients were easy to come by and the recipe was easy to prepare.
Basically, this Classic Greek recipe is a simple green salad recipe composed of romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, and olives, dressed with an olive oil based vinaigrette.
The Greek peoples rarely ever ate feta cheese without the accompaniment of olives.
For whatever reason - we can thank the Greek people for this classic simple salad recipe. They have blended the mild romaine lettuce very well with the stronger flavour of the onion and then cut that with the feta cheese and topped it off with just enough tantalizing flavour from the olives.
GREEK RECIPE INGREDIENTS
• 3 cups (720 ml) washed, dried and cut romaine lettuce.
• 8-10 thin slices of seedless (English) cucumber – quartered
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) red onion – thinly sliced
• 8-10 grape tomatoes
• 1/3 (80 ml) cup crumbled feta cheese
• 1/3 (80 ml) cup sliced black olives
1. Layer the lettuce, onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
2. Sprinkle the feta cheese and olives over the top.
3. Add the dressing just before serving OR allow your guests to serve themselves and then add their own dressing.
Greek Recipe Yield: Serves 4-6.
salad recipe is best served with a Greek dressing such as Lisa’s Greek Feta
Dressing (my personal favourite) OR can you make your own – see my
Salad Dressing Recipes
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.