This Christmas Fruit Salad Recipe is traditionally served on Christmas Eve in Mexico - called ensalada de noche buena. The recipe ingredients for this simple fruit salad do vary between different regions of Mexico depending on what is available.
Various types of
fruit and some vegetables can easily be substituted in this simple salad
recipe for Christmas, depending on your preference and availability.
It doesn't seem to matter whether they are canned or fresh, as long as there is a good variety.
Christmas Recipe Ingredients:
• 1 can sliced beets
• 4 pineapple rings - halved
• 2 red apples
• 1 orange or 3 mandarins
• large romaine or lettuce leaves
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) slivered or sliced almonds
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) pomegranate seeds
Christmas Dressing Ingredients:
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
• 1/4 tsp 1.25 ml) salt
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) white vinegar
1. Drain beets and set aside.
2. Cut 3 pineapple rings in half. Set aside.
3. Core apples and slice into thin slices – do not peel Set aside
4. Peel the orange or mandarins and segment them. If using oranges - cut each segment in half. Set aside.
5. Peel and segment the pomegranate. Set aside.
6. Prepare the lettuce – wash and let drain or dry.
1. Spread the lettuce leaves over a large plate.
2. Arrange the fruit by alternating the colours in a pattern
3. Sprinkle with the nuts and pomegranate seeds.
Christmas Recipe Dressing:
1. In a small container, whisk the salt, vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add a few pieces of beets to colour the dressing. When desired colour is achieved, remove the beet pieces and discard. The dressing should be a light pink colour.
3. You can either drizzle the dressing over the Christmas Fruit Salad recipe or put it into a small container and let people help themselves.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings.
Christmas Recipe Notes:
1. The original traditional way to make this salad was to cut the vegetables and fruits into bite sized pieces and toss this with the nuts and pomegranate seeds. Then make the dressing and toss the salad with the dressing and then arrange the salad on the lettuce leaves.
2. If the salad is not going to be served right away, dip the apple slices in lemon or lime juice mixed with an equal amount of water to prevent discoloration. Then refrigerate.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.