A Bulgarian Shopska salad recipe is an easy and simple vegetable salad that is quite traditional in Bulgaria. It is a cold vegetable salad made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, raw peppers and Bulgarian cheese. A great summer mixed salad when fresh produce is plentiful.
This Shopska Salad Recipe is a very distinctive Bulgarian dish, utilizing local produce and Bulgarian cheese.
If you can't find Sirene (Bulgarian cheese), for your Shopska Salad, the more common feta cheese is a good substitute.
This Bulgarian salad is believed to have been named Shopska, after a frugal group of people that were known as "shopi", that lived in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria.
• 4 medium-sized tomatoes - chopped
• 2 long cucumbers - sliced
• 1 onion – thinly sliced or diced
• 1 sweet bell pepper - diced
• 1/3 bunch of parsley - chopped
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) red wine vinegar
• 1 cup (240 ml) sirene cheese or feta - crumbled
1. Prepare all the vegetables as directed above and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the finely sliced onions and chopped parsley.
3. Sprinkle the oil and vinegar over the top and mix it all together.
4. Grate the cheese over top.
5. Now you have a true Bulgarian Shopska Salad
Yield: Serves 4
- that Sirene Cheese is a brine type of cheese made in the Balkan countries. (Eastern Europe)
- that it is made from either goat's milk, cow's milk, or sheep's milk or even a combination of 2 or 3 different milks.
- that it is slightly crumbly
- that it has a fat content of 30-35%.
- that it is usually produced in blocks.
- that it is often served as a table cheese, plus used in salads as well as in baking.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.