This Brussels Sprouts Slaw, although a bit time consuming if cutting by hand for a large group, is worth the effort. I am personally not a big fan of Brussels Sprouts, although my husband is, so I was never willing to experiment very much with these sprouts. I am glad that a Facebook Fan request led me to experiment with this one.
The combination of the finely shredded raw Brussels Sprouts and the red onion alone make a great pair. Then I got to experiment with dressings.
Since I prefer a thicker, creamier dressing on my slaw, that is what I started with. A few were just so – so, until I tried the Greek Tzatzki Dressing. This is it!
A nice tangy bite to it that goes really well with the chewiness of the raw shredded Brussels Sprouts. The Greek Tzatzki Dressing is yogurt based so it is not all that bad for you as far as creamy dressings go.
This Slaw will go great with any type of meal. This is one slaw that I will be making again and again. My husband will be happy too, since he likes Brussels sprouts.
1. Remove any bruised outer leaves from the Brussels Sprouts. Using a mandolin, carefully shave the Brussels sprouts one at a time, holding onto the sprouts by the stem.
2. Then, using your fingers, separate the shreds into a medium sized bowl, so that it resembles a very fine slaw.
3. Add the finely sliced onions and gently toss with the dressing.
4. Fold in the cheese (if using) or just sprinkle it over the top.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings, by adding salt or pepper, if necessary.
6. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate.
Yield: This Slaw serves 6
1. If you don’t have a mandolin, you can finely shave the Brussels sprouts with a sharp knife.
2. You could add some diced sweet pepper for colour and extra flavour.
3. This slaw tastes better the second day – so it is a great “make-ahead” type of slaw.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.