Brussels sprouts salad was first created in (where else) Brussels, Belgium. This area of Europe was the first area to produce these little mini cabbages. As with all other produce, when you have lots of it - you devise various ways of consuming it.
Brussels Sprouts first arrived in North America with the French settlers in Louisiana and spread from there. Today, California is North America’s biggest producer.
Brussels sprouts, contains a chemical believed to be a potent anticancer compound, however, boiling can reduce the level of this compound. Steaming, microwaving and stir frying doesn’t seem to affect the compound as much.
Brussels sprouts are also a good source of indole-3-carbonale, a chemical which boosts the DNA repair in our cells and appears to block the growth of new cancer cells.
1. Microwave or steam the Brussels sprouts until just tender. (By adding a few drops of peanut oil or olive oil to the water, it helps them to remain a nice bright green). DO NOT salt the water. Drain and immediately immerse them in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain well and then chill. (If using frozen Brussels sprouts do not cook them at all. Just defrost and prepare for the salad).
2. Cut each sprout in half or in quarters (depending on the size) and place in a large salad bowl.
3. Toss with the chopped green onions, diced sweet red bell pepper or tomatoes and the vinaigrette.
4. Top with a bit of pepper and some sliced almonds for garnish (optional).
Yield: This Salad serves 6 – 8
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.