This Broccoli Salad Recipe makes a perfect side dish for almost any meal. It is an easy to prepare summer salad recipe and is great for picnics and barbecues.
The "blanching" of the broccoli removes some of the crispness so that
it is easier to chew and I find that it blends better with the other
The blanched broccoli also absorbs more of the flavour of the dressing.
This easy and simple salad recipe can be made all year round and served as a side dish along side any meal.
• 5-6 cups (1200 ml) broccoli florets - cut into bite-size pieces
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) slivered almonds (optional)
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) cooked bacon - diced
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) of red onion - chopped
• 1 cup (240 ml) frozen peas, thawed (or fresh peas)
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) mushrooms - sliced (optional)
RECIPE DRESSING INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup (240 ml) mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
1. Blanche the broccoli florets for approximately 1-2 minutes, (depending on how firm you want the broccoli), in a large pot of boiling water. (2 minutes will blanch them but they will remain firm. Note: After 2 minutes the broccoli will begin to get mushy)
2. Drain the broccoli and immediately rinse it with ice cold water to stop the cooking process and to set the colour. Let it cool and finish draining. Note: the broccoli can be cooked the day before & kept in the refrigerator.
3. Combine the broccoli florets, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, almonds, and peas in a large serving bowl.
4. In another bowl, whisk the cider vinegar, the mayonnaise, and honey together. Add this dressing to the salad and toss to mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving.
RECIPE YIELD: Serves 4 to 6.
This recipe works equally well with cauliflower OR a mixture of broccoli and cauliflower.
Picnics & Tailgate Parties
Welcome to my salad site. My name is Noreen.
Two of the many questions I get asked (nothing to do with salads) is why and how I built this website. So I thought I would put those answers right up front for everyone to read, so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.
1. Why I built this site.
I built this site to share...........
2. How I built this site.
I signed up with a company............
3. Do I earn Money with this website.
Yes I do........
4. Can Anyone do it.
Anyone that can read...........
If you prefer to talk to someone about SBI, click here.